/pæk ||; pæk/verb
1 [I,T] to put your things into a suitcase, etc before you go away or go on holiday 收拾(行李);打(包) ·
I'll have to pack my suitcase in the morning. 我得在早上收拾好手提箱。
Have you packed your toothbrush? 你把牙刷放进行李没有?
☞ The expression do your packing means the same. 收拾行李也说do your packing。
[OPP] unpack 反义词为unpack
2 [I,T] to put things into containers so they can be stored, transported or sold 打(包);装(箱) ·
I packed all my books into boxes. 我把所有的书都装进箱里了。
[OPP] unpack 反义词为unpack
3 [T] (often passive 常用于被动语态) (informal 非正式) to fill with people or things until crowded or full 填满;挤满;塞满:
The train was absolutely packed. 火车上挤满了人。
The book is packed with useful information. 这本书里有许多有用的资料。
People packed the pavements, waiting for the president to arrive. 人行道上挤满了人,等候总统到来。
pack sth in(
informal 非正式) to stop doing sth 停止做某事:
I've packed in my job. 我已经收手不干了。
I've had enough of you boys arguing -- just pack it in, will you! 你们这些男孩子老是争吵,我已经受够了,别再吵了,好吗?
pack sth in/into sth to do a lot in a short time 在短时间内做很多事情:
They packed a lot into their three days in Rome. 在罗马的三天,他们紧凑地安排了很多节目。
pack sth out (usually passive 通常用于被动语态) to fill sth with people 使某处挤满人:
The bars are packed out every night. 酒吧里每晚都挤满人。
pack up(
informal 非正式)
1 to finish working or doing sth 收工;结束工作:
There was nothing else to do so we packed up and went home. 没有其他事情要做,所以我们收工回家。
2 (used about a machine, engine, etc) to stop working (指机器、引擎等)发生故障,失灵:
My old car packed up last week so now I cycle to work. 上个星期我那辆老爷车坏了,所以我现在骑自行车上班。